And the first two don’t count.
Remember how I said I was sick. Well, remedy I either jumped into the past tense too soon or I am sick again. Either way I spent 3 1/2 hours at the walk-in clinic yesterday to get some antibiotics to combat the tonsils of doom and hope that this sinus infection goes away.
Here, nurse in all its glory, is the end of year survey to give me a hand summing up this past year of which so many of my memories have been lost in a sleep deprived haze.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?: I think this one is pretty obvious – had a baby.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?: Knowing what was ahead of me I only made one real resolution: Have a baby. I didn’t even bother with my 32 in 32 list. One of the things I really wanted to do was knit the Wrackspurt (remember how we used to call her that?) a blanket and I did – but after I finished it I didn’t really like it anymore AND it has a hole in it that I need one of my super adept knitting friends to fix for me. Yes, I will make more for next year – although I am wondering about the whole 33 in 33 thing, the number just keeps getting higher as I get older – who would have thought? I don’t consider that I list of resolutions though – just things I would like to work on.
One of my resolutions for this year will be to NOT get pregnant.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?: Last year when I found out I was pregnant I knew NO ONE else who was having babies or who had babies (who wasn’t related to me and/or who lived in town – and even those children aren’t babies anymore). Since then my friends Jen, Melinda, Danielle and Stacy have given birth. The funniest/saddest (?) part is that I probably know Jen and Melinda better than Danielle and Stacy and I met them both through the blogosphere (our Diaryland days oh-so-many years ago) and neither of them live in town.
4. Did anyone close to you die?: Hamish.
5. What countries did you visit?: Well, Nova Scotia seems like another country…
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?: Sleep. Energy. Smaller boobs. Tighter ass.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?: April 8th (obvious)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?: Well, Moira is still alive and kicking (and biting) and I think we are doing a pretty good job with her. Starting up my other website was a pretty big achievement too.
9. What was your biggest failure?: Not going swimming often enough.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?: Okay, please don’t hate me for saying this but I had never been so healthy in my life as I was when I was pregnant. I know everyone gets sick and spends all of their time puking but maybe it was because I spent a lot of time being sick before getting pregnant that I got a break. So no, nothing serious. That being said, this December has been rather rough on me health-wise.
11. What was the best thing you bought?: Food? Nursing bras that fit properly? I didn’t buy much this year.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?: My Mother! For coming over every day (almost) for the six weeks after Moira was born, for driving me around while I healed, for bringing me food, for watching me cry Every. Single. Day.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?: I’ve been living in a bubble and staying away from politics and the news so I can’t think of anyone right now.
14. Where did most of your money go?: Rent, food. At least for most of this year we’ve had money and haven’t been living off of handouts.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?: If by excited you mean excited and totally freaked out my answer would have to be having a baby.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?: Manic Monday by The Bangles- except we sing “Just another Manic Moira” because that girl can get seriously manic.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?: Happier.
b) thinner or fatter?: Seeing as I am not pregnant – thinner.
c) richer or poorer?: Last year at this time we were both unemployed – now only one of us is! Yay us!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?: Cooked. Swam. Sex.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?: Worried. Stressed about things I couldn’t control.
20. How did you spend Christmas?: Quietly. We celebrated with both sets of parents early because they were both going away so by the time Christmas Day came about all the presents had been opened (mostly). We didn’t make a big deal out of “baby’s first Christmas” either – sometimes I feel a little guilty about that but I know she doesn’t care and, well, I’ll do better next year.
22. What was your favorite TV program?: X-Files. That was the only TV program I watched this year.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?: Who has the energy to hate anyone?
24. What was the best book you read?: As For Me and My House by Sinclair Ross. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. The runner-up would be Late Nights On Air by Elizabeth Hay.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?: Searching out new music wasn’t high on my priority list this year. Hopefully that will change in the coming year.
26. What did you want and get?: A baby.
27. What did you want and not get?: A baby who naps!
28. What was your favorite film of this year?: Wall-E.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?: I do the same thing every year on my birthday – recover from the party we host the night before. This year I turned 32 and we walked/waddled around the neighbourhood. In two days I turn 33.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?: A stable job for the Mister earlier on in the year – particularly him not get jerked around by companies and making him doubt his worth – but whatever, you know? We can’t do anything about it now and with the economy the way it is our mantra now is “at least you have a job!”
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?: Post partum. (Yikes!)
32. What kept you sane?: How about who – The Mister.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?: Who has time for this either?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?: Obama getting elected was pretty fascinating. Still, I didn’t pay that much attention to politics this year.
35. Who did you miss?: My parents, my sister and her family.
36. Who was the best new person you met?: Moira.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008. Everything they tell you about babies is wrong.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. I can’t think of one.
Tomorrow is going to be busy busy with me trying to exhaust myself tidying the apartment before our annual New Year’s Eve/Birthday Party and the Mister trying to get me to relax and not wear myself out before the guests come. Don’t you love traditions?
See you in 2009.