December 14 – Appreciate
What’s the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it?
One thing I appreciate? I think I’m a genuinely appreciative person and I could write a whole list but I think it is actually harder to pick just one and after all part of the question is: “how do you express gratitude for it” and this is how:
This year I have come to appreciate how important it is to have a friend like Jocelyn. It isn’t that I didn’t appreciate Jocelyn before – because I definitely did – but it is even more amazing to have a friend who is going through a rough time of her own who:
- I could call on short notice and who was willing to come and take Moira off my hands for a couple hours so I didn’t have a breakdown at the height of this year’s tantrum phase.
- Would call to see if I’m okay and need Moira to be taken away.
- Would come and bring me food while I was at the new house working to get it ready for us to move in.
- Gets just as excited as I do about me finally having a space to craft in. (And who also has more ideas than time, health inclination or talent and so understands me.)
- Would text me to see how I was doing knowing that sometimes all I need in a day is for some other adult to reach out to me. In fact, Jocelyn is the only person I text on a regular basis.
- Is willing to go to a crappy craft show for moral support (she knows what I’m talking about).
- You can have long e-mail conversations with about fabric. (She’s a total enabler.)
I think it is important to have friends who aren’t moms because sometimes you want to talk about something other than kids and being a mom. So thanks Jocelyn just for being Jocelyn.
p.s. There is a present for you in your inbox.